Conflicts and disasters cause psychological wounds. Psychosocial support aims to heal these wounds. It has recently become a priority in development aid programmes and for Sigrid Kaag, the Dutch Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation. In this conference, professionals will discuss needs and experiences. During four thematic workshops, they will formulate policy recommendations on mental health and psychosocial support in the context of development cooperation in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
In response to the pressing needs and growing interest, Cordaid initiated two conferences on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in the Middle East. The first took place in Iraq in May 2019 and provided input for a second conference, to be held at Humanity House on 6 June 2019.
This conference aims to collect practices from the MENA region, and to provide input for current policy discussions. The conference is intended for people who work in international development cooperation and the health sector, and anyone interested in the MENA region.
Read the programme of the day here
ProgrammE of the day
9:30 Doors open
10:00 Start of conference in the Geneva Room
- Addressing psychological trauma’s caused by extreme violence: state of the art knowledge / lessons learnt, with Joop de Jong (Amsterdam UMC and Boston University School of Medicine)
- Short film about mental health and psychosocial support in Iraq
- Setting the scene: appeal from Iraq / why is mental health & psychosocial support a priority? with Hala Sabah Rouhi (Cordaid Iraq)
- Panel discussion with Joop de Jong, Hala Sabah Rouhi, Dr. Riyadh Al Rudaini (Iraq), Dr. Bayan Rasul (Iraq), Inas Miloud (Libya)
- Politcs and local narratives on trauma, with Vivienne Matthies-Boon (UvA, Egypt) en Inas Miloud (Libya)
- Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) in working with Gender Based Violence, with Hala Sabah Rouhi (Cordaid Iraq) en Nicolien Zuijdgeest (Libya)
- MHPSS in relation to other forms of support for IDPs and refugees, with Dep Humanitarian aid Cordaid/Joop de Jong
- Scaling up number of local MHPSS professionals, with Elise Griede (WarTrauma Foundation, Iraq/Palestina) and Dr. Bayan Rasul (Emma Organization, Iraq)
16:15 Reflection in Geneva Room
17:00 End of programme, drinks
Visit the Facebook-event here